Clashes in New Market: Police have a month and a half to investigate 3 cases


Court Reporter: The court has given a month and a half to the police to investigate three cases of clashes between shop owners and employees of Dhaka College students in New Market area of ​​Dhaka.

After the cases went to court on Thursday, Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Shuvra Chakraborty set June 7 as the date for filing the report.

New Market Police Station SI Mehedi Hasan has filed one of the three cases under the Explosives Act. The Inspector (investigation) of the same police station Yamin Kabir has filed another case alleging rioting, arson, and obstruction of police work.

Deliveryman Nahid Mia’s uncle was killed in the clash. Saeed filed a murder case.

About 1400 people including students and businessmen have been accused in the three cases.

The bloody clash between the students and the shopkeepers started last Monday night. That night, some students of Dhaka College were beaten in a food shop in New Market.

According to the shop owners, one of the employees of the two shops got into a quarrel and one party called some BCL workers from the Dhaka College dormitory. They returned to the dormitory after being beaten but clashed with the students when they tried to attack the New Market at midnight.

More than 50 people were injured in the day-long clashes on Tuesday. Among them was a 16-year-old boy named Nahid Mia who was stabbed in the street.

Nahid worked as a delivery assistant at a store called Data Tech Computer on Elephant Road. He died on Tuesday night while undergoing treatment at Dhaka Medical College.

According to the police inquest, Nahid had four cuts on the left side of his head, two to three and a half inches long. Doctors gave 23 stitches to four wounds.

Three cut wounds on the left side of the back as well. Each of which is five inches long. There were also five stitches in the cut below the ankle of the left foot, and there were bluish-black wounds in different places on both feet. There were bruises on the nose and mouth.

A shop worker named Morsalin, who was hit by a brick in the clash on Tuesday, also died while undergoing treatment on Thursday morning. No case has been registered in this regard yet.

During the clashes, students and shopkeepers continued to throw bricks at each other, and many grenades exploded.

Two days after the two sides reached an agreement, the shops in the area, including New Market, reopened on Thursday.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here